Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read these and support them. Working on a way to get them in one spot to review all at once. In the meantime feel free to follow me on twitter @Mike_Kurland for daily takeaways and all things fantasy baseball as well!
All lineups are supplied by baseballpress.com
Hope you enjoy!
* Please note: some lineups are not released upon publishing. This gets updated as lineups become available.
Miami Marlins vs Atlanta Braves
- Jesus Aguilar moving up to the 2-hole today is odd. This is the first time he’s moved off the cleanup spot. With Aguilar moving to the 2-spot we see Harold Ramirez batting cleanup.
- Brian Anderson hitting 5th is the lowest he has hit in the lineup as well. Today is the first time the Marlins have made these changes even dating back to Opening Day. This could be a variation of the starting lineup but I would bet they revert to their usual lineup.
- Jon Berti getting a chance to play CF and bat 9th. We know he will be the super-utility type this year but with uncertain playing time and batting 9th when he is in, it could lead to a big headache to roster him in fantasy leagues.
- Garrett Cooper is out of the lineup today.
- Matt Adams DH’ing for the second straight game. I assume he has the inside track for most the at-bats there. At least on the strong side of the platoon.
- Ender Inciarte is out and Adam Duvall is in. Could be a situation to monitor.
- Austin Riley in again. This bodes well for him. I expect him to start at 3B from day one.
- Johan Comargo is out.
- Dansby Swanson up to the 7-hole today. Not a bad lineup spot if he can hold onto it. Could see him move up to the 5-spot if all goes well.
Kansas City Royals vs St. Louis Cardinals
Kansas City Royals
- Jorge Soler and Hunter Dozier out of the lineup.
- Hunter Dozier rested positve for COVID-19.
- Alex Gordon slots into the 3-hole and could hit 3rd of 4th with Dozier out.
- Franchy starting for the 2nd straight game. He should get a chance to bat 7th and play every day.
- Bubba Starling might be the player who gains the every day playing time while Dozier is out.
St. Louis Cardinals
- Kolten Wong out with a stiff neck.
- Tommy Edman slots into the lead off spot and playing 2B. I expect him to play every day now with the DH. He might hit up and down the lineup as needed.
- Matt Carpenter is going to continue to hit atop the lineup. Even if he’s past his prime. This is like a Votto situation.
- Paul DeJong continues to be overlooked. Batting cleanup, he should offer solid power and RBI numbers.
- Tyler O’Neill and Harrison Bader are in line to start the season in the lineup. Batting 7th and 9th respectively. O’Neill offer power and sneaky speed for stolen base upside. It’s not sneaky and the speed is high-end but is often overlooked due to the massive power.
Cleveland Indians vs Pittsburgh Pirates
- This has been the lineup they’ve essentially trotted out the last 3 games. No secrets here. Expect this to be the lineup on Opening Day.
- Oscar Mercado still in the 9-hole is just terrible for his value. Going to be hard to return on investment from there.
- Domingo Santana quietly a good value in this lineup. Good 5th outfielder type.
- Jordan Luplow appears to the the LHP platoon partner to Tyler Naquin.
- The Pirates also showing their hand as they’ve trotted this lineup out each of the last 2 games.
- Kevin Newman appears locked into the lead off spot.
- Jose Osuna could be a deep league option for power if you’re desperate. Should play 1B or DH often and bat 6th.
- Jarrod Dyson was already cheap in drafts. Batting 9th isn’t ideal but he should have the green light on the base paths.
Detroit Tigers vs Cincinnati Reds
- The top of the lineup with Niko Goodrum, Johnathan Schoop, Miguel Cabrera and CJ Cron seems licked in.
- They plugged Victor Reyes into RF and sat Cameron Maybin. Could be a steady rotation with Reyes eventually winning out the spot. Good speed here if he plays enough.
- JaCoby Jones playing every day but is batting 9th. Not mixed league relevant as of now.
- Shogo Akiyama is out.
- Phillip Ervin is in and leading off in his place.
- Today they moved Mike Moustakas to the 5-spot while batting Castellanos cleanup. This would be ideal for Castellanos for sure.
- Nick Senzel in CF and batting 8th. Seeing him play back-to-back games is encouraging for his health. Let’s hope he can remain healthy and hit on the pedigree we know he has.
Minnesota Twins vs Chicago Cubs
- Mitch Garver is leading off today. This could be something that sticks. Especially vs LHP. They were doing this in spring training 1.0 and seeing this happen again suggests it can really happen.
- Jorge Polanco batting cleanup is very interesting. He is a very solid bat. Not flashy but makes a ton of contact and hits for a high average. This would really boost his RBI output.
- MIguel Sano hitting 5th is higher than any other spot he’s had to this point. There was and still is a chance for him to hit lower but this is encouraging.
- Max Kepler batting 8th was not hinted to at all. This is the first time he is hitting this low in the lineup and it is concerning. This team has an embarrassment of riches on offense and it shows with players like Kelper batting 8th. This could be typical in lineups vs LHP.
- Ian Happ is in today, starting at CF and batting 9th. He should play most of the time. Let’s hope he can hit his way into a higher spot in the lineup.
- Anthony Rizzo is back in the lineup and playing 1B. He did in fact slot right in to the 2nd spot in the lineup as anticipated.
- David Bote is starting at DH and batting 7th. Can get in the way of Caratini getting regular at-bats.
- Jason Kipnis is starting at 2B and batting 8th. Although Hoerner was manning 2B the previous 2 games, this seems likely to be the starting lineup come Opening Day and Hoerner is on the outside looking in.
“Toronto” Blue Jays vs Boston Red Sox
“Toronto” Blue Jays
- There was a deal or agreement in place to play in Pittsburgh. Health officials in the state declined it and they’re still seeing a home field.
- The top 5 are the same as yesterday’s lineup. Vlad Jr. at DH, Travis Shaw is playing 1B which give Panik the start at 3B.
- Seeing Travis Shaw play the field on back-to-back days is good for his health outlook.
- Danny Jansen out and Reese McGuire in. Still monitoring if Jansen gets more regular at-bats of if this is a split.
Boston Red Sox
- This is the second straight day J.D. Martinez is batting 2nd. They mentioned trying this so it could stick. This hurts the RBI category a bit.
- Xander Bogaerts batting cleanup puts him in the RBI spot. Always an overlooked, solid producer.
- Michae Chavis getting a start today, playing 2B and batting 7th. Just so many concerns with consistent playing time right now. I don’t feel confident in him playing regularly.
Colorado Rockies vs Texas Rangers
- David Dahl and Charlie Blackmon playing back-to-back games suggests they’re healthy and ready to roll.
- Daniel Murphy playing 2 straight days at 1B would suggest he might play the field more than we expected.
- Matt Kemp is manning the DH today. He will get at-bats there and take away from the young guys we want to see play.
- Brendan Rodgers and Garrett Hampson are out of the lineup today. Neither has started in either of the 2 games.
- Sam Hilliard is also out.Appears Chris Owings is getting reps in the OF and batting 8th.
- Willie Calhoun is back in the lineup at DH. I guess he is good to go for Opening Day.
- Shin-Soo Choo leading off followed by Willie Calhoun at DH and Danny Santana batting 3rd is interesting.
- Elvis Andrus batting 7th was a shocker. He always bats at the top of the lineup. This would be a big deal.
- With Calhoun back, it appears that Nick Solak was already bumped from the lineup. This will be something to monitor in the first few games of the regular season.
Milwaukee Brewers vs Chicago White Sox
- This feels like an Opening Day lineup.
- Lorenzo Cain, Christian Yelich batting 1-2 is pretty typical.
- Keston Hiura sliding into the 3-hole is very nice.
- Ryan Braun is back in and at DH. Should primarily DH this season and hit cleanup. So much value if he can remain healthy.
- Avisail Garcia batting 5th is where I like to see him. He was a bit lower in the last game but this should or could be where he slots. Depends on where Omar Narvaezbats in the order.
- Justin Smoak in Miller Park and batting 6th has a lot of appeal. Would be nice to see him bounce back this year.
Chicago White Sox
- This is very likely to be the Opening Day lineup.
- It appears my fears may have been correct. The other day Eloy Jimenez batted 5th with Grandal out. My concern was he’d slip to the 6-hole with Yasmani Grandal in and that is what happened. Not exactly ideal for the young slugger but hopefully he can hit his way up.
- Nomar Mazara out of the lineup. On IL with undisclosed reasoning. COVID suspected. This is allowing Luis Robert to move to the 7-hole. Robert could perform well and push Mazara to bat behind him upon returning.
San Diego Padres vs Los Angeles Angels
San Diego Padres
- Trent Grisham batted 2nd against a RHP and is batting 8th today against a LHP. This is something to monitor. Good news is he is playing every day.
- Fernando Tatis Jr., Tommy Pham and Manny Machado are solidified in the top 4 of the lineup no matter the matchup it appears.
- Wil Myers played both games. One at DH and today in RF. Batting 6th both games.
- Ty France in vs LHP, at DH, batting 7th. Could be in a platoon with Olivares.
Los Angeles Angels
- This lineup almost mimics yesterday’s lineup.
- David Fletcher led off for all 3 games this summer camp.
- Shohei Ohtani continues to hit 3rd when he is at DH.
- Justin Upton hittin gcleanup is a big boost to his value.
- Tommy La Stella continues to get regular playing time with Rendon out. Just a matter if he can manage daily playing time with him back. I am not sure he can.