Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read these and support them. Working on a way to get them in one spot to review all at once. In the meantime feel free to follow me on twitter @Mike_Kurland for daily takeaways and all things fantasy baseball as well!
All lineups are supplied by baseballpress.com
Hope you enjoy!
* Please note: some lineups are not released upon publishing. This gets updated as lineups become available.
Houston Astros vs Kansas City Royals
- Same order as yesterday with the 1-7 hitters.
- Carlos Correa batting 6th behind Gurriel is odd to me. Could see that change. When Yordan Alvarez returns, Correa could hit 7th.
- Kyle Tucker out for a second straight game. First vs a LHP but now vs a RHP. Dusty Baker sticking to his guns with the vets.
Kansas City Royals
- Most starters aren’t getting rest today.
- Like seeing Franchy Cordero getting in there. Going to be interesting to see how he fares against Josh James today.
- Bobby Witt Jr. won’t be up this year but still nice to watch how he does against MLB level talent.
Baltimore Orioles vs Washington Nationals
- Had a few questions regarding Austin Hays playing every day after the off day but today he’s back in. I’m confident he’s the everyday starting center fielder and leadoff man for the Orioles. Worthy of an add in mixed leagues if he’s available.
- Hanser Alberto batting 2nd. I recently said they should be hitting top 2 in this lineup. Hope to see this stick. Sneaky MI option in deeper formats.
- Chris Davis moves from the middle of the order to the 7 spot. This could be a landing spot. I expect him to hit no higher than 5th in this lineup.
- Good to see Robles play back-to-back days. Seems he’s healthy and ready to go. Unfortunately he’s batting at the bottom of the order. The 9-spot was not the plan when ranking and drafting him this offseason.
- Carter Kieboom is in place of Asdrubal Cabrera today at 3B. This feels like a messy situation. He only played one of the three games they played.
- Starlin Castro moves to 6th in the order. This was after batting 3rd for the first two games. This makes a little more sense. Allows Soto, Kendrick and Thames to move up a slot in the lineup.
Detroit Tigers vs Cincinnati Reds
- Early in spring training 1.0, we saw Cameron Maybin getting the early leadoff chances. Now we’re getting Niko Goodrum leading off today. He has multi-positional eligibility, offers stolen base upside and could be a flier worth taking or picking up.
- J. Candelario is batting 5th. He was a bit of a sleeper entering 2019 and it didn’t pan out. Can we possibly see a bounce back?
- Christin Stewart has the power potential worth exploring in deeper formats. Batting 6th is a fair spot for him as well.
- Cameron Maybin still offers stolen bases but batting 7th instead of 1st really puts a damper on the stolen base potential he initially had when it was assumed he would lead off. He still could. Just requires monitoring.
- Victor Reyes is the odd man out in the outfield.
- As expected, Shogo Akiyama is leading off but he’s is playing LF. There were thoughts he could or would play CF.
- Joey Votto remains the 2-hole hitter. The bat isn’t what it used to be but the on-base skills still play and keep him atop the lineup.
- Eugenio Suarez, Mike Moustakas and Nick Castellanos batting 3-5. Not a big surprise here. Would like Castellanos hitting a little higher but it should still be a great spot for him regardless.
- Jesse Winker in the 6-spot is a great place for his bat. Big time power vs RHP. Should play most days especially being set for the strong side of a platoon.
- Nick Senzel batting 8th isn’t what we hoped for. He still offers a power/ speed combination but the plate appearances won’t be in his favor to really produce like we think he can.
Miami Marlins vs Atlanta Braves
- The Jonathan Villar, Brian Anderson, Corey Dickerson and Jesus Aguilar 1-4 has been holding tight since spring training. The part that brings a smile to my face is Garrett Cooper batting 5th at DH.
- With news of Monte Harrison likely not starting on the Marlins 30-man roster, Harold Ramirez becomes the favorite to land the RF spot. Today he bats 6th as well.
- Jorge Alfaro batting 8th is not what I expected. I was a bit higher on him due to expecting somewhere in the 5-6 range. Seeing him batting 8th hurts his value a bit.
- Ronald Acuña leading off. More of the same.
- Freddie Freeman is back and starting. Will be ready for Opening Day. Batting 3rd and playing the field.
- Matt Adams getting first crack at DH over Adam Duvall and Johan Camargo
- Austin Riley sighting! I still am concerned the Braves play Camargo over him but this is still what we want to see. Batting 7th and playing 3B.
- I knew Dansby Swanson would bat at the bottom half of the order but seeing him 8th was lower than expected. Not what we want from a player we expected to continue his breakout into 2020.
“Toronto” Blue Jays vs Boston Red Sox
“Toronto” Blue Jays
- Still don’t know where they are playing. Weird with Opening Day in two days.
- The top 3 in the lineup in Bo Bichette, Cavan Biggio and Vlad Jr. is expected.
- With Gurriel Jr. out, This pushed Travis Shaw up from the 5-spot to the 4-hole. Sneaky value here. There is a big chance for a bounce-back season after the disastrous 2019. I actually buy into the bounce-back. Shaw also playing the field would suggest he is healthy.
- Lourdes Gurriel Jr. isn’t playing and that makes me question the health. Need to monitor the situation.
- Rowdy Tellez getting the start at DH and batting 6th.
- Danny Jansen starting at catcher. Slight concern of splitting time with McGuire. Worth monitoring. Could be a post-hype breakout at catcher.
- Derek Fisher getting the start in LF and batting 8th. He might get the shot to play there if Gurriel Jr. proves to not be healthy. Not sure if there is anything left in the tank there.
Boston Red Sox
- Andrew Benintendi is leading off. There were discussions of Verdugo possibly leading off but that does not seem to be happening.
- Speaking of Alex Verdugo, he is healthy, batting 7th and playing the field. All arrows pointing up.
- J.D. Martinez batting 2nd is an odd one. I expected either 3rd or 4th and batting 2nd is not ideal. His skill set you draft him for includes RBI and if he bats 2nd, those RBI opportunities will fall a bit.
- Jose Peraza starting at 2B and Mitch Moreland is starting at 1B, leaving Michael Chavis on the outside looking in. He may platoon against lefties as was alluded to a couple weeks ago.
Colorado Rockies vs Texas Rangers
- David Dahl is healthy, for now, and leading off. It appears the small concerns for health could be past him.
- Good to see Charlie Blackmon is healthy and playing. He is even manning RF. He slotted back into the 3-hole and should be full systems go.
- Daniel Murphy batting 5th is nice for his value. He is actually playing the field. We anticipated more run at DH but they have mentioned him not being the exclusive DH so we will see what happens there.
- Raimel Tapia is starting at DH and batting 7th. We saw him start hot in Spring Training 1.0. Could get in the way of playing time for Hampson.
- Speaking of Garrett Hampson, he is absent from the lineup today. Because …. Rockies.
- Sam Hilliard is in and could actually be set to start in the OF. He is batting 8th. It isn’t ideal but every day playing time would definitely be a welcomed sight.
- Danny Santana is batting 3rd and starting in CF. Although I don’t buy the production last season, he is slotting into a great spot in the lineup.
- Nick Solak is in fact starting with Calhoun out but it is at DH. There is still a chance for Calhoun to be healthy to start the year and this would immediately affect Solak’s at-bats.
- Isiah Kiner-Falefa starting at 3B and batting 9th. As long as he gets everyday playing time and at-bats, this is great value as your 2nd catcher in two-catcher formats. Otherwise I have no interest in him.
Los Angeles Angels vs Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Angels
- Anthony Rendon is not guaranteed to be ready for Opening Day.
- David Fletcher getting the start at 3B and remains leading off for the second straight day.
- Shohei Ohtani in at DH and batting 3rd. Which is what we should see in season.
- Justin Upton moved up to batting 4th tonight. This is better than the bottom half slot he had the last game.
- Tommy La Stella playing 2B tonight and is already being moved around to different positions and lineup spots. Hard to peg where he might hit and play any given night.
Los Angeles Dodgers
- Mookie Betts sitting out and we see everyone just move up a spot. This means Muncy is leading off, Turner batting 2nd and Bellinger 3rd , Seager 4th and Pollock 5th.
- Kike Hernandez and Chris Taylor appear to be fighting for everyday at bats at 2B.
- Gavin Lux was optioned down. They might bring him up early if the other two options underperform. Regardless, this was shocking and frustrating for fantasy owners.
Oakland Athletics vs San Francisco Giants
- Well, hello Ramon Laureano. He is slotting into the 2-hole! Absolutely love it and happy the A’s decided to give this a look tonight. In Spring Training he would never get placed in the 2-hole. Very happy about this placement if it holds.
- This looks like a regular season lineup. No real surprises.
- Chad Pinder getting in on the playing time mix at 2B.
- Tony Kemp and Franklin Barreto are out tonight. Barreto has yet to start in either game yet.
San Francisco Giants
- Mike Yastrzemski leading off is happening. You cannot tell me otherwise. They were doing this in the first go-around at Spring Training and have since continued the trend.
- Wilmer Flores starting at 3B and batting second. This could lead to deep league relevance. 15 teams or deeper and NL-Only formats.
- Hunter Pence is coming off a year in which he made some changes at the plate and the production followed. Not exactly the park or lineup you would want to see him in, but batting cleanup every day will bring him some value.
- Mauricio Dubon being out of the lineup when most starters are in is concerning. I bought into him playing mostly every day for the Giants. I hope they don’t stop that from happening.
- Pablo Sandoval at DH batting 6th. No real interest for fantasy but curious if he will get regular at-bats at DH. That could keep Pence in the field and squeeze Dubon for playing time.