Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read these and support them. Working on a way to get them in one spot to review all at once. In the meantime feel free to follow me on twitter @Mike_Kurland for daily takeaways and all things fantasy baseball as well!
All lineups are supplied by baseballpress.com
Hope you enjoy!
* Please note: some lineups are not released upon publishing. This gets updated as lineups become available.
Philadelphia Phillies vs New York Yankees
- A few key pieces getting the day off in Bryce Harper and Andrew McCutchen. This clears up a couple spots for others to get reps. Jay Bruce is also getting a breather.
- Roman Quinn getting the start at CF and leading off.
- Adam Haseley also starting today and batting 7th. I am wondering if this will determine any potential competition for playing time between these two there seems to be.
- Scott Kingery getting a few at-bats in the DH spot today and batting 6th. Good to see him healthy.
New York Yankees
- The Yankees haven’t hid a single thing these three games they’ve played. This appears to be the lineup entering the 2020 season. I wish Clint Frazier or Miguel Andujar would get run over Brett Gardner but that is not the case.
- Gio Urshela batting 9th isn’t ideal but as a late pick and back up 3B option, he isn’t a bad option to grab as your CI.
- Aaron Hicks appears locked into the 5-hole. That’s a solid spot for him.
- Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton in again. They are healthy entering the season–after all, and Judge is coming off a two-homer game. I would draft them with confidence at least to start the year. Both are values entering these final days.
Washington Nationals vs Baltimore Orioles
- We finally have a lineup with Victor Robles in it. Great to see him back. However, he is batting 9th. You’d of thought they would’ve had him higher up for reps and because they didn’t this makes the lineup placement more believable heading into the season.
- Asdrubal Cabrera getting the nod AGAIN over Carter Kieboom. They may have called an audible on giving the kid full run at the position. He didn’t even make an appearance in the starting lineup during these couple of games.
- This lineup feels like a legit Opening Day lineup. I am buying this as it.
- DJ Stewart getting reps at lead off. I would say he is the favorite for the everyday LF job.
- Austin Hays getting the day off.
- Pat Valaika sitting today, giving way for Jose Iglesias to get in and bat second.
- Renato Nunez batting cleanup. He’s as sure of a thing for the middle of the lineup as it gets.
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Cleveland Indians
- I am actually surprised. The Pirates appear to be doing the right thing and placing Dyson in the 9-hole and having Kevin Newman lead off. This is what I hoped for but was not positive in this happening. Newman belongs atop the lineup so let’s hope the Pirates don’t try and get cute with Dyson leading off come the regular season.
- The rest seems typical and in line with yesterday’s lineup with the 2-4 spots comprised of Bryan Reynolds, Adam Frazier and Josh Bell.
- Colin Moran seems locked in at 3B or DH and batting 5th.
- The Indians are essentially trotting out the same lineup as they did on Saturday. I would expect something like this entering the season as well.
- This is just the daily reminder to not ignore Cesar Hernandez in any last minute drafts. Leading off for a strong lineup is never a bad thing. And he offers speed at a shallow 2B position.
- Oscar Mercado is batting 7th but I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Domingo Santana and Roberto Perez are out of the lineup and on Saturday when they were in it, Mercado got pushed down to the 9th spot. I expect that to occur when that lineup is in place.
- Tyler Naquin is sticking to the 6-hole and playing RF. Not sure if he is in a platoon but even so, he is on the strong side at the very least.
Houston Astros vs Kansas City Royals
- There is never much to take away from the Atros. They have a pretty set lineup. The only exception, is when will Yordan Alvarez show up and where he will bat? It could push down Michael Brantley, but other than minor of a move the rest of the lineup is status quo.
- Hey look, Dusty Baker is finding a way not to play Tucker with the DH being up for grabs. Because Aledmys Diaz should obviously get the chance first. This is sarcasm if you weren’t sure and this feels like a nightmare we can’t seem to wake up from at this point.
Kansas City Royals
- First thing I noticed was no sign of Franchy Cordero which makes me very sad as someone who is rooting for him to get an everyday opportunity. Can’t say I am surprised being that they just acquired him via trade.
- Whit Merrifield and Adalberto Mondesi batting 1-2 in the lineup as anticipated.
- Hunter Dozier is in the 3-hole and in a very solid top of the lineup. Pretty underrated as a whole with a top-5 that can do damage.
- Savador Perez is back and batting 5th. Behind some good bats, so it could allow for good production from the catcher position.
- Ryan McBroom is starting and batting 8th. I assume O’Hearn comes back and takes the job over. In which case, will O’Hearn move up? I wouldn’t bet on it given the talent in the top 5 as is.
Chicago Cubs vs Chicago White Sox
- Kris Bryant leading off isn’t a shocker but STARTING at 1B is! This would be huge for his fantasy value! I’m digging this.
- David Bote in at 3B and batting second. This is what they did with Kipnis yesterday. They might be looking for a solid 2-hole bat while Rizzo is out..
- Albert Almora in over Ian Happ in CF. My doubt is growing for Happ playing every day or even most days. I wouldn’t drop him yet by any means. Just requires further monitoring.
- Jason Kipnis is out today but Nico Hoerner is in and starting at 2B while batting 8th again. I am hopeful he starts with the club and is playing 2B on Opening Day.
- Victor Caratini in again and catching today. I feel he will get more run than initially anticipated and be bounced around the field. Sneaky second catcher to target in two-catcher formats.
Chicago White Sox
- Yoan Moncada is back in the lineup and slotted into the 2-hole as I mentioned should be the case in yesterday’s article.
- This move did in fact move Eloy Jimenez from the 2-hole to the 5-hole. Another change we potentially saw coming. Yasmani Grandal and Nomar Mazara are out of the lineup and Luis Robert is batting 6th because of it. I still believe he bats 7th or 8th most days, but still encouraging to see him get moved up when they are out.
- We have a Nick Madrigal sighting. We all agree he’s a prototypical leadoff man, but in 2020 I don’t think he is destined to lead off if or when he gets the call to the bigs.
Los Angeles Angels vs San Diego Padres
Los Angeles Angels
- David Fletcher seems to be ahead in the race for the starting 2B job. Although, it could very well be a platoon with La Stella.
- Tommy La Stella starting at 1B and batting 3rd. This is with Anthony Rendon and Shohei Ohtani out of the lineup. It appears that every game Ohtani is out, they could shift Pujols to DH and La Stella could play 1B. This could help lead La Stella to regular at-bats. Curious where he bats when pieces aren’t missing in the lineup.
- Jason Castro slotted into the 5-hole is interesting. Could sustain hitting in the 5 or 6-hole and that could boost his value as a catcher in fantasy leagues.
- Justin Upton is batting down at 6th in the lineup. I am curious if he would fall to 7th with Rendon and Ohtani in the lineup or if Castro would be who falls.
San Diego Padres
- No surprise that Manny Machado is batting 3rd or with Fernando Tatis Jr. is leading off, but Trent Grisham batting 2nd is interesting! He has flashed great on-base ability in the past and this would really boost his value.
- Tommy Pham hitting cleanup boosts the RBI opportunities. I just wonder how much he will run if that is where he bats. With the pieces behind him, I could still see a green light.
- Wil Myers at DH and batting 6th. I love this. He is made for 1B or DH and having him solely hitting could alleviate concerns for his health and allow him to focus only on hitting.
- Austin Hedges getting the nod over Francisco Mejia is frustrating for fantasy purposes.
- Edward Olivares starting and batting 9th. Batting 9th limits the upside but he’s free in drafts and could be worth a flier if he is available. ESPECIALLY if you need speed. There is some power in that bat.
San Francisco Giants vs Oakland Athletics
San Francisco Giants
- The lineup is lacking a few notable starters in Alex Dickerson, Mike Yastrzemski, Evan Longoria, Brandon Belt and Hunter Pence.
- Mauricio Dubon is in, batting 6th and getting reps in CF. Sleeper for some stolen bases and what will become multi-positional eligibility.
- If anyone is truly desperate for a catcher, this is a battle to watch. Chadwick Tromp is starting today. Again, you would have to be DESPERATE.
- Marcus Semien leading off as expected.
- Pretty much the hitters lined up 1-4 in typical fashion.
- Mark Canha remains a solid value in fantasy and batting 5th is ideal for his situation. Playing CF though was definitely not expected.
- Ramon Laureano is out of the lineup today. Need to monitor the situation. In early Spring Training lineups he routinely slotted into the 5 or 6-hole. I imagine that’s where he will plug in when he’s starting.
- Tony Kemp batting 9th and starting at 2B. He appears to be the front runner for the starting 2B job.
Arizona Diamondbacks vs Los Angeles Dodgers
- Apparently Kole Calhoun leading off wasn’t a one-off idea. He is back to leading off today as well.
- He is followed by the Marte party behind him as well.
- Vogt is giving Kelly rest and goes from DH’ing yesterday to catching today.
- Jake Lamb manning 1B and batting 7th again.
- No sign of Kevin Cron in the lineup either day.
Los Angeles Dodgers
- Well, it appears the first two lineups haven’t fluctuated much. The same top 7 in the same order. This feels locked in.
- Joc Pederson still likely be the strong side of the platoon and play vs RHP but maybe they’ll actually let him try and grow vs LHP. He’s back in the lineup for the second straight day batting 7th.
- Seeing Pollock play back-to-back games is encouraging. He DH’d yesterday and is in LF today. Appears to be in line for everyday at-bats in the 6-hole.
- Will Smith is starting today after having yesterday off. He’s batting 9th. Appears to be where the catcher position is slotted to hit regardless of which catcher is playing.
- Gavin Lux hasn’t started in either of the first two games the Dodgers has played yet. That’s a red flag.